interlibrary loan (illiad)
roesch library borrows materials not available at the university of dayton or through ohiolink. types of materials borrowed may include books, videos and dvds, music cds, copies of journal, magazine and newspaper articles, microfilms and dissertations. however, some libraries do not lend music cds, videos and dvds, and dissertations.
interlibrary loan does not procure materials already available in the roesch library, the zimmerman law library, resources that can be obtained through the ohiolink catalog, or resources that can be found for free online.
only students who are currently registered for courses, faculty and staff who are currently employed by the university of dayton are eligible for interlibrary loan services.
university of dayton law students, faculty and staff should use the zimmerman law library interlibrary loan department for interlibrary loan services.
interlibrary loan requests are not accepted by telephones or on paper, but are managed through an online system called illiad.
you must log in to illiad using your university user name and password. if you are a first time visitor, you will need to enter your contact information before a request can be processed. a separate request for each item should be completed, including multiple articles from the same journal volume. requests should to contain complete bibliographic information and (if possible) a citation source. if you are unsure of this information, ask a librarian for assistance before submitting a request.
a request will not be processed if it is for an item available through university libraries or an ohiolink institution, or if it is a current ud textbook or an online source. cancellations might also occur because the request was incomplete, the item could not be found, or the institution that owns the item declined to lend it.
rush requests will be accepted only in extreme cases. there is, however, no guarantee that the holding library will be able to comply. if you require faster service than the ill office can supply, you should refer to commercial document suppliers.
patrons should allow a minimum of two weeks for the receipt of materials. materials to be returned must be returned by the due date indicated. if the patron wishes to renew the material, a request should be made to the interlibrary loan department at least three days before the due date. if the renewal is not granted by the lending library, the material must be returned promptly.
roesch library will accept interlibrary loan requests from other libraries via oclc or faxed ala forms.
- books and government documents are loaned for a period of thirty days. one renewal is accepted, subject to local needs. reference books may be loaned at the discretion of a reference librarian and may be subject to restrictions.
- circulating copies of theses or dissertations are available for loan within the united states and canada, but may not be reproduced.
- newspaper or periodical microfilm reels are available for loan within the united states and canada for 30 days, with no renewals.
- periodical articles may be photocopied. there is a $15.00 charge for all photocopies made for anyone who is not part of the reciprocal agreement in ohiolink, the southwest ohio council for higher education (soche), or who does not participate in a bilateral reciprocal agreement with the roesch library. this $15.00 fee covers any article up to and including 20 pages. each page over 20 pages will be assessed an additional charge of $.10 per page up to a limit of 30 pages total. for articles in excess of 30 pages, the bound (not unbound issues) journal volume may be loaned at the discretion of the ill staff within the united states and canada for 30 days, with no renewals.
- microfiche may be loaned within the united states and canada for 30 days, with no renewals. no ultrafiche may be lent. no eric microfiche is lent.
- audio-visual materials may be loaned within the united states and canada for 30 days, with no renewals, at the discretion of the interlibrary loan specialist.
requesting libraries assume responsibility for borrowed material, as dictated by the interlibrary loan code for the united states, section 4.8. ohiolink libraries will be governed by ohiolink policies.
any late fees or other charges incurred for interlibrary loan transactions, other than the actual cost of the article or book loan charge, will be the patron's responsibility. patrons may have their library accounts blocked if they fail to adhere to due dates and other interlibrary loan policies.
patrons who lose materials must pay a $25 processing fee in addition to the charges assessed by the lending library.
distance learners must be current students or staff of the university of dayton and have a valid id card in order to borrow ill materials. a university username and password is also required for off-campus access to illiad, the interlibrary loan service. a university username and password can be obtained by contacting the udit help desk (937-229-3888).
users unable to travel to the roesch library can receive materials via u.s. mail. any materials obtained via interlibrary loan must be returned to the roesch library interlibrary loan office by the due date specified.
special arrangements can be made for distance learners who do not visit the main campus regularly. contact the ill office monday through friday during regular business hours at 937-229-4900 or [email protected]
distance learners are strongly encouraged to take full advantage of the ohiolink program to request materials from ohiolink colleges and universities. materials may be requested from the university of dayton as well as other ohiolink institutions. the materials can then be picked up and returned to an ohiolink institution closest to the distance learner.